Friday, May 25, 2012

Maze Runner by James Dashner
 400 pgs.
Targe audence: Young Adult
Rating: Dragon (would give even higher if I had a higher rating)

Synopsis from inside front cover
"When Thomas wakes up in thelift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is a blank. But he's not alone. When the lift's doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade - a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.
Just like Thomas, the Gladers don't know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they've closed tight. And every 30 days anew boy h as been delivered in he lift.
Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up - the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more suprising yet is the message she delivers.
Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind."


Wow, wow, wow is this book good! I listened to this on audio and it was amazing. What I liked first was that you are as clueless to what's going on as the protagonist, Thomas. The author doles out information very slowly so that you become so hopelessly hooked that you could not stop even if you wanted to. Twists and turns and unexpected revelations. Very suspenseful and thought provoking. The world of the glade and maze Dashner has created is brilliant and terrifying all at the same time. The characters seem real and you feel for them, well feel for most of them. I felt like I was going through the terror of their life and their desparate need for escape myself as I listened. I found myself looking for excuss to drive just to listen to it which is an absurd waste of gas, but I couldn't help it. It is that good. This is an absolute must for fans of Hunger Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment